There are over 8,000 different chemicals used in personal care and other household products? Did you know the average woman puts 130 unique chemicals on herself each day?
Just a couple of examples of the types of chemicals in our everyday products are:
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Foaming agent in shampoo, toothpaste, soaps
- These can irritate skin, eyes and respiratory systems, and may also be contaminated with ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane, both extremely toxic carcinogens
Fragrance (aka the Hormone Disruptor!)
- Used to scent candles, shampoo, soaps, lotions, basically anything that smells nice
- Can affect the immune system, allergies, respiratory and reproductive systems
- ‘Fragrance’ listed on the label can represent over 14 hidden chemicals which are often hormone disruptors.
- Often contains formaldehyde or formaldehyde releasing ingredients!!!
- These are used as preservatives in skincare products to extend their shelf life
- Parabens mimic estrogen and is classed as hormone disrupting chemicals
- These are widely used in personal care products as a ‘plasticiser’, and to act as a solvent (to dissolve and help ingredients to mix together).
- They are a proven cause of many reproductive health problems
- Shockingly phthalates don’t need to be listed on the label, they can be hidden under the general term ‘fragrance’!
Download ‘Think Dirty’ from your App Store to look up the ingredients in the products you use or look at http://www.ewg.org/skindeep- like we were, we think you will be surprised. A lot of companies ‘green wash’ their labels, making their products sound natural and ‘clean’, however, unfortunately when you check the full list of ingredients, there are often still nasties inside.
Imagine if you could shop at a place where you didn’t have to worry about checking every ingredient every time you need to get a new toiletry or cleaning product?